Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Yummmmmmmm


I am a huge fan of Italian food. Huge. It was probably a big contributor to my need to lose weight. Who doesn't like pasta covered in a garlicky tomato sauce topped with cheese?

Tonight I made spaghetti squash for the first time. I followed the directions on the sticker that was attached to the squash. I pierced the rind all over with a fork and cooked it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes per pound. Then I put it in a pan and roasted it in the oven at 375 degrees for 1 hour.

I must admit that I did not follow a recipe, but I will do my best to tell you how I made the sauce and the measurements of everything I used.


Just put the things in that you like. While the spaghetti squash was in the oven I cooked 8 oz of ground extra lean turkey. Once that was fully cooked I removed it from my pan and placed it in a bowl. Then I sprayed the same pan with cooking spray and cooked half a medium diced onion, half a red bell pepper, about 8 oz of diced mushrooms. After those soften for a couple of minutes, I put in 3 minced garlic cloves (we loooove garlic). Once the garlic is cooked, about a minute, I added a 28 oz can of tomato sauce and the turkey from earlier. Then I chopped up some fresh basil and oregano and added it to the sauce.



When the spaghetti squash is done, cut it in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds from the middle. Using a fork, scrape the meat of the squash (it comes off in long strands like spaghetti) and put that in a bowl. Be careful because the squash will be hot. Put some spaghetti squash in bowls and top with the sauce and then some grated parmesan. All of this was around 300 calories. So very yummy! I could eat this every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment