Saturday, April 28, 2012

Oh Mango....

I LOVE mango... perhaps a little too much.  I can't help myself around this time of year when they are in season.  I've been known to eat one every day.  However, did you know that:

Mango peel and sap contain urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause urushiol-induced contact dermatitis in susceptible people. Cross-reactions between mango contact allergens and urushiol have been observed.  Those with a history of poison ivy or poison oak contact dermatitis may be most at risk for such an allergic reaction. Urushiol is also present in mango leaves and stems. Wikipedia

So, imagine my surprise when I broke out in tiny blisters all over my left hand.  I had no idea that I would have that kind of reaction.  I have not taken a picture of it and posted it and for that you are welcome.  It is totally gross.  There were blisters all over my wedding ring finger and my pinky finger.  Ewww.

This has not stopped or even slowed my mango consumption, but I felt like I should make you aware of the possible problem because I had absolutely no clue.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I hope your hand heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete