Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A new use for the old bananas....

My son used to eat a banana every night before bed for many years. Both of my kids still love them and we ALWAYS have them in the fruit bowl. The banana popularity ebbs and flows in our house and sometimes we have bananas that are overripe. Before the lifestyle change, my daughter and I would take those overripe bad boys and turn them into a delicious chocolate chip banana bread...mmmmm, warm banana bread and a cup of coffee.... anyways, back to my point. I found a FANTASTIC new way to use my overripe bananas!

BANANA SOFT SERVE ICE CREAM!!!! And it is so hard to believe that it is really only a banana. It is soooooo good!!

The good news is that I had all the ingredients I needed in my house. The bad news is that I had to peel and chop my bananas and wait for them to freeze in my freezer.

There are a million different recipes for banana soft serve all over the internet. The recipe that I decided on may have been one that I read, but I honestly don't know which one it was. I apologize for the oversight. All I knew is that my banana soft serve had to include chocolate somehow.

This is what you need (serves 2):

2 frozen chopped up bananas

1 T. honey
3 T. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Toss these ingredients in your food processor and pulse until the big banana chunks are broken up and then blend until creamy and looking like ice cream. Share half of it with a friend and add a topping like berries and enjoy your 165 calorie dessert. You could also add some peanut butter but your calorie count will be higher.

Who read this post and tossed some bananas in the freezer?? Who can resist a dessert that is loaded with the nutrients they need anyways?? HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment