Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Overnight Oatmeal

I've seen these on Pinterest and decided to make my own.  They are a great way to start the day and I find that I don't have a mid morning snack when I have one of them for breakfast.  They are quick because they are ready for you in the refrigerator in the morning and you can just grab it and go!

I used half pint jars to make them.

1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1/3 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk or any milk you have
1 1/2 Teaspoons Chia Seeds (for fiber)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Strawberry Simply Fruit jam
fresh strawberry chunks (I used just 2 strawberries)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl and fill the jar.  Put in the refrigerator overnight and enjoy a ready-made, quick, good for you breakfast in the morning.   I used fat free Fage yogurt and unsweetened almond milk and my oatmeal came in at about 211 calories, 4.7 grams of fat, 4.8 grams dietary fiber, 14.8 grams sugar, and 10.8 grams protein.

You can also add your own flavors.  Omit my strawberry Simply fruit and strawberries and add blueberries and maple syrup or strawberries and bananas.  The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment