Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cauliflower crust pizza

I have seen many recipes for this that have traded the carbs of the crust for a crazy amount of fat for the cheese, so here is my version that is still VERY cheesy in the crust, but not as bad as some I have seen.

1 cup of riced cauliflower

3/4 reduced fat mozzarella

1 Tablespoon of flax seed meal in 3 Tablespoons of water (allow to sit for 10 minutes) OR you can use 1 whole egg

1 tsp dried oregano

2 minced garlic cloves

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven 450 degrees
riced cauliflower

2. To rice cauliflower, remove the stems and leaves of cauliflower and chop the florets into pieces.  Add to a food processor and pulse just until it looks like rice.  Put the riced cauliflower in a bowl with 1/4 cup water and microwave for 6 minutes, stopping in the middle to stir.

crust
3. Combine the cauliflower, cheese, flax mixture, oregano, and garlic in a bowl.  Stir thoroughly.  Place mixture on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and shape into a 9 inch circle.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Take out of oven when the crust is browned (more than my photo shows) and completely cooked through the middle.

4. I then added 1/2 cup of pizza sauce and some sauteed mushrooms, onions, red peppers, and a hand full of spinach.  I covered it with 1/3 cup of reduced fat cheese and put it under the broiler until the cheese was melted 3 or 4 minutes.

I ate the entire 420 calorie pizza.  It was very yummy.  Did it have the taste and texture of a bready pizza crust?  No, but it certainly satisfied my cheesy pizza craving.  You all know how much I love anything cheesy.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment