Friday, March 30, 2012

Am I a health nut?


HECK NO!!!! Am I trying to be healthier? ABSOLUTELY! My goal at the start of this was to be fit by 40. Quite honestly, I am not sure I was really fit at 20 or 30, so I figured it was a good idea to start since it isn't going to get any easier to get healthy after I turn 40. I have never been as active as I am today. I feel great. My knees don't bother me as much since I have lost weight and I am so much stronger...remember my "big guns" I mentioned in my medicine ball post? :)

I have learned so much about food and fitness. I am not saying I was ignorant before, I am just saying that I ignored the facts. Serving sizes are printed on packages for a reason. You should never think that it is OK to sit in front of the television, watching....ummmm, let's say, The Biggest Loser, with a pint of ice cream (hides face in shame). I am just more aware of the things that I eat.

Yes, I count calories. It keeps me accountable. I also workout 6 days a week. Quite honestly, a lot of the time, I work out so I can eat more. I love to cook and to deny myself cheese is the worst thing in the world to me. On the weekends I also have been known to drink the occasional martini or red wine. All of it is counted. If I am going out to eat, I look at the menu online to pick what I am going to eat before I arrive at the restaurant.

I also like to try some new things that I can replace higher calorie foods with so that the calorie count is lower. For instance, replacing milk in my cereal with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or putting Tofu Shirataki noodles in my stir fry instead of brown rice. It is like a game for me sometimes.

Every week, My husband and I have a cheat meal. This is a meal that we eat whatever the heck we want. I can't completely stop eating the things I love. Last weekend, I had wings and onion rings. Heavenly. Did I work out that day to try to make the calorie hit a little easier? I sure did. Then I had a relaxing evening in with my husband and had a martini.

See? I am far from a health nut. As they say, "All things in moderation." Who knew that actually worked? Not me apparently. Ahh, I am so wise now in my old age.

2 comments: