Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnut Holes

I am eating these with a cup of coffee as I type.  Holy cow, these are good.  Just out of the oven, warm, moist.....delicious!  The Apple Cider Doughnut Holes I made last week were a hit, so I decided to make these.  I love pumpkin flavored anything!

I adapted this recipe from here.  I changed it to make it a bit more figure friendly as my recipe made 33  doughnut holes at only 53 calories a piece.

For the Doughnuts:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup skim milk


For the coating:
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl.  Mix half of the dry mixture into the wet mixture until incorporated and then mix the rest.  Do not over-mix!  Using a tablespoon or a small ice cream scoop, place dough into each muffin tin.  Bake for about 10 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Once they come out of the oven, brush the tops with the melted butter and then toss them in a ziploc bag with the cinnamon sugar mixture (about 6 at a time).  Place on a cookie sheet to cool.  Once cool, place them in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment