Saturday, March 2, 2013

Using my Pinterest powers for good.....

Normally, when I am on Pinterest I am surfing for 1 of 2 things....healthy recipes or desserts.  Who knew that there were other reasons that Pinterest was helpful?  Today, I made laundry detergent.  The recipe is all over the place on there, so I have no idea who to give credit to for this.  

1 (4 lb 12 oz) box of borax
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 (3 lb) container of Oxy Clean
2 (14.1 oz) bars of Zote soap or 7 (4 oz bars) Ivory, grated
1 (4 lb) box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
1 or 2 (55 oz) bottles of Pyrex crystals fabric softener

I got a handy dandy 5 gallon bucket with a lid from Home Depot and added all of the ingredients.  To make life easier, I used my food processor to grate the soap.  That made it easy peasy.  Plus, it was easy to clean up because...ummmm, it was already soapy.  

In order to make it more manageable in the laundry room, I poured some of my mixture in the Oxy Clean container so I didn't need to use the huge 5 gallon bucket every time I wanted to do laundry.  I am also using the scoop from the Oxy Clean as well.  They say this recipe lasts about 6 months, 2 tablespoons per load.  We will see.  I seem to do a million loads of laundry every week, but I will let you know when I reach the bottom of my bucket.  

Did I mention that all of these ingredients were about $30 total?  Just thirty dollars for 6 months of laundry detergent sounds dreamy, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment