Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lemon Cookies

I realized that I no longer have any Girl Scouts living on my street.  I started to panic.  I love the lemon cookies.  I mean, I really love them.  I calmed down a bit and decided to make some myself.  There was a fantastic recipe for lemon cookies in my Eating Well magazine, February 2013.

1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour, or all purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar, divided
2 Tablespoons, softened
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven 350 degrees

Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.

In another bowl, beat 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and oil with an electric mixer.  Beat until fluffy.  Add egg white, lemon zest and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.  Add lemon juice.  Mix it all together.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little bit at a time with a rubber spatula just until combined.

I used a mini ice cream scoop and my batch of cookies made 1 1/2 dozen.  Space them 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet and press them flat with the bottom of a glass.  Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar (You will NOT use all of the sugar).  Bake for about 12 minutes.  Just until the edges begin to lightly brown.

Allow to cool and crisp and store them in an airtight container.  They are darn tasty!  The hubs even liked them!

Nutritional info: 100 calories each, 3 grams fat, 8 grams sugar, 1.5 grams protein, 0 grams fiber


No comments:

Post a Comment