Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Almost spaghetti...

Today, I made some veggie filled spaghetti sauce.  I sauteed half a diced onion, a whole diced red bell pepper, and about a dozen mushrooms.  After they were tender, I added about 4 minced garlic cloves and cooked until fragrant (about 1 minute more).  Then, I added a 15 oz can of petite diced tomatoes and a 15 oz can of tomato sauce.  I then added some basil, oregano and red pepper flakes.  Finally I sliced up some chicken sausage and let it all simmer


As if all of those vegetables weren't enough, I decided to make some spiralized zucchini and squash with my new little gadget (found on amazon for less than $10).  I like to fool my husband with things that I cook sometimes so I decided that I would make his dinner half whole wheat spaghetti, half spiralized zucchini and squash.  ;)   My dinner was all veggies though, no real spaghetti.  


After I spiralized the veggies, I sauteed them in a little misted olive oil until cooked through (just a few minutes).  I must say this was very yummy!  I make spaghetti squash every now and then, but I must say that I like this much better because these spiralized veggies kept their shape and texture and it was like actually having spaghetti.  I will make this all the time!  Even my husband liked it!  


I wonder what else I can spiralize....  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment